I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! If you stayed within your calorie range for the day, stand up and take a bow. (Is anybody standing??) If, like me, you went into the day knowing you’d exceed your goal, that’s ok. Just start from here and resume your plan. (It’s kind of like the miracle of repentance: you can be forgiven at any point, put the “sin” behind you, and start fresh from where you are!)
So today, if you’re ready to exercise some of those calories away but the weather’s just not conducive, here are some ideas that will allow you to rev up indoors:
1. You don’t have to go out and buy weights to help you build muscle. Instead, use whatever you have around the house: soup, vegetable or fruit cans (yes, FULL!), water bottles—whatever’s a comfortable weight for your strength level. Use progressively heavier ones as your capacity expands.
2. Pop a DVD or video into the player and exercise along to an established routine. (Note: The public library loans video recordings for FREE!)
3. You might want to think about a gym membership for the winter months. Money a problem? Check unlikely facilities. Here in my home town, a nursing home opens its fitness center to the public for a pittance (about $15 a month). Contact me if you’re local and need more details.
4. Hit the mall. Many open at 6 am for folks who need a warm, dry place to walk.
5. If you have an indoor pool in your area, swim.
So there are five tips to keep you going. If you’d like to share your ideas, please feel free to comment. ’Til tomorrow, stay strong and resolute! I’m proud of your progress!