I attended a monthly potluck yesterday. Naturally, the thought occurred to me, How do I keep on track when there are sooooo many scrumptious offerings to choose from?
Here are 6 strategies for avoiding potluck remorse:
1. Pre-eat. Before you go, eat a small amount so you’re not ravenous as you walk the potluck line.
2. Be the Goody Two Shoes. Take a healthy dish. Vegetables and healthy side dishes are always in short supply at potlucks—but much appreciated by those of us who are watching our weight.
3. Avoid the choose blues. Select the healthy versions: a whole wheat roll instead of white; the brown rice dish instead of the white… You do have options. Exercise them.
4. Exercise portion control. When so many options clamor to be sampled, try taking smaller (start with half a spoonful) samplings. You can always go back for a larger helping of a favorite.
5. Take your time. Savor the conversation and eat your meal slowly so your brain can keep up with your belly and register “FULL” before you’ve consumed everything on your plate.
6. Un-friend the Clean Plate Club. Once and for all, admit to yourself that the starving children will not be saved if you finish everything you’ve taken. But you might be saved if you don’t.
Until tomorrow, stay confident and resolute! We can do this! And if you have tips to add, be sure to comment! 😉